Monday 17 March 2008

Placements

Since Christmas I have been frantically trying to find placements. I have found many companies slightly disrespectful in terms of contact. Despite numerous emails and phone calls, I was met with no response or "I'll take your number and get back to you tommorow". But as you may have worked out, this doesn't happen. Has common courteousy flown out of the window? Or are first year students just too much of a burden to respond? The question I ask myself is, "Did they just fall on success, or did they require nuturing and guidance?"

It's like a driving test. You can't pass without an instructor, so they were guided through the correct processes in order to pass. How do people like myself develop skills and knowledge without the opportunity to illustrate your enthusiasm or motivation to learn?

Luckily I had a fortunate break, and secured a 4-day placement with global firm Ogilvy. Working for such a renowned company, will hopefully give me an insight into the way professionals work, hopefully picking up new skills along the way. Not only do I hope it will benefit my portfolio work, but also act as a learning curve.


"Good manners cost nothing."

No comments: