Wednesday 9 July 2008

Revolutionised

I am now over a week and a half into my summer placement scheme, and it has proved useful in helping me build a list of possible career paths. Initially, I thought I'd be going into Public Relations but I was thrown into the deep end and placed with Ogilvy Advertising. Having such a strong tradition and reputation in the advertising world, it was a daunting process.

Being relatively unfamiliar with advertising in general, I was coming into the business a mere mortal. With the strong legacy David Ogilvy left behind, I knew I would be in safe hands. I was placed under the watchful hands of two account executives on the current Hellmans and Comfort advertising campaigns. It begun with a lot of extensive research on data all over the Internet. However, as the week went on, I was entrusted with more responsibility and I have thrived upon it.

Not only have I become more knowledgeable about the Ogilvy philosophy and advertising process, I have become brain dead with computer functions.

Time sheets, despatches and expenses have become a vital part of the working process. However, possessing a limited amount of brain space, it has been quite difficult to take in the information and act upon it. But I'm working on it!

Next week begins with a Helmanns trip away beginning at 5am! I have not yet accustomed myself to the 8am mornings, so I think Red Bull or an all nighter might come in handy! (Ignore the latter!)

It has been a valuable experience, and although I don't see advertising as a long term thing for me, I will make the most of it, as I believe attitudes can change.

Additionally, the 10 weeks is broken into 2 x 5 week segments, so I will get an opportunity to channel my work in a different department on a separate campaign.

Upon signing off, I have to display what a vibrant and interesting working environment Ogilvy is set in. A young enthusiastic workforce, and poignant messages all across the workplace highlighting the prestige of working for such a reputable company.

The quotes surrounding the Ogilvy office:

"Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision." - Muhammad Ali

"If it doesn't sell, it isn't creative." - David Ogilvy


"We sell or else" - David Ogilvy

"Unless your campaign contains a big idea, it will pass like a ship in the night." - David Ogilvy




1 comment:

Giles Rhys Jones said...

great to have you on board. enjoy your time.