Tuesday 29 July 2008

Jay-Z - Greed, Glory or Superstar Status?

I have to go against all these words.

Since beginning my project here at Ogilvy, I have conducted some in depth research on rap/hip hop phenomenon Sean Carter better known as Jay Z. My naive initial approach was that Jay Z was a money grabbing, exploitative celebrity, but how my opinion changed.

He is an entrepreneur that makes the most of his ventures. He is not only a musician, but a producer, designer and investor.

Businesses:

- Owns part stake in NBA team New Jersey Jets.
- Co-owns widely recognised club 40/40, which has since expanded to various locations in America.
- Has his own clothing label Rocawear which turns over $700 million dollars annually.
- Assigned to Rocafella Records.
- Produces for the likes of Kanye West, who has taken the world by storm.

You may think this is all greed. Trying to get as much money as possible. But isn't this what everyone does in life? Although Jay Z is different from many others. He may have a multi million clothing company and sold 50 million albums, but he still finds time to donate money and time to people less fortunate.

- Prior to the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, Jay Z donated $1 million to the American Red Cross to deal with the aftermath of the tragedy.
- Set up the "Sean Carter Scholarship Foundation" which gives opportunities to those individuals who are looking to further their education.
- Also set up the "I will not lose" campaign: "Celebrates those who overcome adversity daily to continue to thrive and make the world a better place. These individuals have omitted the word can't from their vocabularies and have gone on to achieve in various ways. The campaign is the brainchild of one of those very people; Shawn Carter."
- Met with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan to help raise awareness and combat global water shortage. Jay Z took this to a global scale, making a documentary for MTV, "Water for life."

I think many people are to quick to conform to the stereotype that celebrities manipulate and don't do anything to improve the wider world outside show business. However, this is evidence to prove that Jay Z doesn't fit this particular stereotype, and is consistently working to make peoples' lives more fulfilling.

This is a quote that I find particularly relevant to Jay Z's career. He's been doubted, disrespected, but fought against this to achieve not only success, but a different form of celebrity.

Challenge me, doubt me, disrespect me, tell me I'm older tell me I’m slower tell me I can no longer fly, I want you to - Michael Jordan

No comments: