Friday 1 August 2008

Coming to an end

My first 5 week stint at Ogilvy has come to an end, and I am ready to start a new chapter. The anticipation of where I will end up is something I can't wait for. I am just hoping and praying that I will get to spend this second 5 weeks in the Public Relations part of Ogilvy. I feel this would be beneficial to my personal development as a Public Relations practitioner at Leeds Met.

I received my feedback session today, marking my progress in the last few weeks. I was a little disappointed with this. I was told that I had lost my initial enthusiasm which I had begun the job with. Although I agreed with this, for long periods of time I wasn't actively involved. How do you determine enthusiasm, when you don't have work? Furthermore, there is a stage where enthusiasm is pestering / annoying, and I didn't want to resort to these means.
Although I think over the 5 weeks my enthusiasm has faded, I believe that your boss/manager/mentor should instil their enthusiasm into you.

Proactivity is the key, and in hindsight maybe I was a little too apprehensive about this word. But I feel that proactivity improves with familiarity, experience and knowledge. I know it is a weakness, but it is something that I will endear to work on in the coming few weeks, wherever I end up. People have to understand that I have just began my studies, and I need more guidance than those who have finished / nearly finished their degrees.

I look back on the last 5 weeks with both positives and negatives which I will draw upon. But I feel both have been useful. Taking onboard constructive criticism and turning it around in my next chapter at Ogilvy is my ultimate aim.

Be ENTHUSIASTIC as a leader. You can't light a fire with a wet match!

No comments: